Today’s Assignment ~ Make sure that you have your prayer journal with you as you complete each day’s reading. You are going to want to keep track of the verses that are resonating with you, as you read.
1. If you have not already done so, answer the questions in this blog-post;
If you have answered them…review your answers prior to reading today’s assignment.
2. Say a prayer asking God to reveal Himself to you through His word.
3. Read Hebrews 1 – 2 and as you read, highlight verses that are speaking to your heart and reflect on these questions…
- What is the main point of this portion?
- What does God – Father, Son or Holy Spirit – reveal of himself?
- What insight am I given about myself and into my life situation? Is there an example of a warning to heed? A promise to claim?
- What does Christ require of me now, in thought, word or action?
4. Click on the link below for some historical background on the book of Hebrews…
A reflection on today’s reading…
1 “Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets. 2 And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the Son he created the universe. 3 The Son radiates God’s own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven. 4 This shows that the Son is far greater than the angels, just as the name God gave him is greater than their names.” Hebrews 1:1-4
I was so moved by the first two chapters in Hebrews!!!
The beauty and the truth, in the words shared, should inspire songs, worship, praise and prayers from us. They should also inspire us to think carefully about the choices we make each day.
2 “So we must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it. 2 For the message God delivered through angels has always stood firm, and every violation of the law and every act of disobedience was punished. 3 So what makes us think we can escape if we ignore this great salvation that was first announced by the Lord Jesus himself and then delivered to us by those who heard him speak? 4 And God confirmed the message by giving signs and wonders and various miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit whenever he chose.” Hebrews 2:1-4
Reading these verses is giving me more reasons to offer up thanks to God and I am thankful that the reading of Hebrews fell, perfectly, into the days leading to Thanksgiving. I am going to go back and read these two chapters again…and spend some time high-lighting and meditating AND THANKING!!!!