Today’s Assignment ~ Make sure that you have your prayer journal with you as you complete each day’s reading. You are going to want to keep track of the verses that are resonating with you, as you read.
1. If you have not already done so, answer the questions in this blog-post;
If you have answered them…review your answers prior to reading today’s assignment.
2. Say a prayer asking God to reveal Himself to you through His word.
3. Read Acts 5 – 8 and as you read, highlight verses that are speaking to your heart and reflect on these questions…
• What is the main point of this portion?
• What does God – Father, Son or Holy Spirit – reveal of himself?
• What insight am I given into myself and into my life situation? Is there an example of a warning to heed? A promise to claim?
• What does Christ require of me now, in thought, word or action?
A Reflection on Today’s Assignment…
14 “When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had accepted God’s message, they sent Peter and John there. 15 As soon as they arrived, they prayed for these new believers to receive the Holy Spirit. 16 The Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them, for they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit.” Acts 8:14-17
As I contemplated today’s assignment, the above verses were the ones that aroused a curiosity within me. I decided to go to a trusted pastor to see if he had any thoughts on this subject…and while Matt Chandler had not written anything to help me, another one of the teachers at The Village Church had; Geoff Ashley. So today I am sharing a link to his commentary on Acts 8:14-25 for further enlightenment on the book of Acts and specifically the verses referenced above.